Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chips ahoy!

Finally material is cut and chips are flying! I've got a few projects now, and I'm getting lots of practice.
Rough cutting a circle from birch.




 

 The final pass.

 









 Without a metal working lathe I cannot replace this wornout bearing cup, so the next best thing is JB Weld!







 Just a practice run. The same cut will be made of 0.090" 6061 alloy aluminum on Monday!s

 Along with this milestone in progress for my machine also came an equally significant failure in safety. While I was vacuuming the dust from the finished part around midnight, I accidentally bumped my right hand into the razor sharp cutting tool which was stopped and still in the router from earlier, looks like this.

The result is a laceration which needed 4 stitches, seen HERE
Time to update safety protocol!


Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing!!!! What a beautiful thing you have created. I am totally impressed!

    And O U C H on the painful lesson you learned!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete