Thursday, March 22, 2012

RC Car Wheels

You may recall my post about the Ferrari F50 wheel model I made in 2004. Well, it seems the time has come to make the darn thing!

Vertical axis mount of the 3 jaw chuck for concentric work holding.


Indicating center 


Magic unfolds!







Sadly, I have been unable to finish the wheel. Without a highspeed lathe style cutting operation on the rim tub, I cannot give it a "turned" finish look. Second, it takes hours for the mill to do what would take a lathe seconds to finish. There's a way, but for now i'm moving on to newer ventures.



More to come!


P.S. I tried making a video of the endless wheel machining footage, but alas it was awfully boring to watch. Maybe next time!

10 comments:

  1. Yes sir!! Nicely done!

    Evan....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering how the machining is coming along? Any new updates or projects ? Have a question about your gecko 203 and bridgeport stepper tuning. I have mine up and running but when I rapid in any axis It will sometimes make a grinding sound. Just haven't found the right setting yet for my motors. Keep your blog going man, its an inspiration to see your work. Karl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karl. Thanks for the comment. My shop is still making parts, but my personal endeavors are not worth the blog effort lately. You may be overloading your steppers during rapid, try slowing the velocity ramp up speed. I rapid at 140ipm, and my ramp speed is 2 in/s/s. Let me know if that helps :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a post on cnczone with a video. Check it out sometime and see what you think. I have my motors set at rapid 60 ipm with the ramp speed at 1 in/s/s. Worked great last summer but after sitting all winter now this.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridgeport_hardinge_mills/175787-bridgeport_stepper_motor_trouble_video-2.html

    Thinking the cold has something to do with it. Missouri winters suck
    Ever get your drone up and flying ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would have looked awesome should you have finished the wheels. Seems like a real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. why not make a mandrel for the wheel, spin it in the mill spindle, and hold the lathe bit in the mill vise. this way you can do some cnc "lathe" work in the mill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After i had finished this one, i was planning to do exactly that! Would have worked well but much CAM planning and programming required to pull it off

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am impressed with this website , very I am a fan . cnc machining parts

    ReplyDelete